Star Wars Bound: Making a Lando Calrissian inspired shirt

 

In 2019 well preparing for my Disney Vacation and first ever visit to Star Wars Galaxies Edge I decided I wanted to make a vintage inspired outfit using similar replica fabrics to Lando Calrissian's outfit at the end of the movie Solo A Star Wars Story. This project was a great test of my skills to make a more structured style of garment in the design of the top. It also tested my skills in learning how to use and modify and grade pre purchased patterns.

Inspiration, Concept & Design



When designing starting the designing process of this outfit I knew I wanted to make it using pre purchased vintage inspired patterns so I looked through my collection and decided on the top for pattern I used Butterick B5895 and for the shorts I used Charm Patterns Jane Set. After deciding on the design of the garments I started fabric shopping I knew I wanted my outfit to be inspired by Lando Calrissian from Solo a Star Wars story well fabric shopping I found an amazing replica fabric via Spoonflower for Lando's Hawaiian style shirt from the end of the film. I decided for the shorts to make them out of a simple black suiting fabric because I wanted a pair of shorts that would not be colourful and be more likely to stain well in a theme park.

Construction and Execution

When starting construction on this outfit I decided to make mockups before going in and making the final outfit and I am very glad I did when measuring for the top I came to the conclusion that according to the pattern sizing I was between three sizes and this led to me having to teach myself how to grade between pattern sizes on a store purchased pattern this took me multiple try's with mocking up the shirt to make sure the fit was correct. What this resulted in doing was me making the shirt in my biggest measurement size and pinning it to fit from there I marked my lines on my mockup fabric and cut the pieces accordingly to help make my new pattern. After getting all the pattern issues sorted and feeling very confident in my fit I did one more mock up to make sure I would be able to figure out how to achieve the button holes correctly on the shirt .With the Shorts I ended up having no issues with fit but still made some slight modifications to the pattern by closing the darts on the shorts, making a new waistband pattern that would leave the shorts sitting higher on my natural waist, and adding in seam pockets.

Once I felt confident enough in all my mockups and testing of the pattern I decided to start working on the final garment. Well working on the final garment I found myself really struggling with the facings and getting them to lay the way I wanted them too, so I ended up having to top stitch them unlike what I originally planned. Next up I made the shorts I ended up loving the results a lot more then expected and made two pairs for the trip the only thing I would change now looking back on them is making them elastic over having them have a zipper installed for convenience.

Gallery and Closing Statements


I love the results of this outfit even though it was challenging I found it turned out amazing and very comfortable to wear on my vacation. I sadly did not take as many progress images as I would have liked for this shirt due to me making this in a very rushed amount of time but over all I still love the results !

Until Next Time I am Chloe from Chloesfandomlife and you can find me on all of the following social media platforms below


Instagram- @chloesfandomlife

Comments