Star Wars Bound: Making of the Fulcrum Dress

In 2018 well attending MC College my final project for graduation was making a complete collection to premiere at the college's Runway Show. We had a total of four months to design prototype and create ten looks to go down the runway that showed off our skills we had learned over our time at MC College. When I started designing my collection I knew I wanted to take inspiration and elements from one of my biggest inspirations the Star Wars universe and merge it with everyday wear to create a look that was subtile but still showed my love for Star Wars.

Concept & Design

Moodboard for my 2018 collection "Naberrie"

Well designing the garments for my collection I was taking a lot of inspiration and elements from the original costume design of the films such as Jedi's robes, Princess Leia's classic white dress and the elaborate designs of Trisha Biggar created in the Prequel Trilogy of films. I also knew I wanted to play with the idea of sublimation dye and the element of adding illustrations of places with in the Star Wars Universe like the iconic twin suns of Tattooine or the Ewok villages of Endor onto some of my clothing pieces.

Figure Board for my 2018 Collection "Naberrie"

My Original concept for what became the Fulcrum Dress was a knit wrap dress with princess seams on the bodice leading down into the skirt with massive sleeves. I took inspiration for the silhouette from Jedi's tunics mixed with my prior knowledge and love for game of thrones costumes and decided to make a dress that would merge both inspirations together into a silhouette that could be easily worn in day to day life. I chose as my original print for the dress to be an illustrated print of the Ewok Villages of Endor all through out the dress because I wanted something that would look beautiful and vivid from far away but up close would be more noticeably the Ewok village.

Original Digital Sketch of the Fulcrum Dress

Construction and Execution

Fulcrum Dress Mockup

For construction of all items in my collection I was required to make a paper pattern using my blocks I developed in my sewing and patterning classes through out the year and modify them to help execute my design. For the Fulcrum dress I used my standard princess seam dress block and extending it to an ankle length well adding a slight flare as I lengthened the skirt to help create movement. After extending all my pattern pieces I extended the center front of the dress to create the overlapping wrap portion of the dress. Next I cut the pattern pieces at the waist to create a waist seam and made the pattern for my waist tie. The last pattern piece I had to make was the sleeves to make the sleeve I did the slash and spread method till I got to a point where I was happy with the sleeve size. After making my pattern I was required to make a mock up out of a similar fabric to the dress and make sure my pattern was not needing any modifications prior to submitting it for marks.

sample of the sublimation dye pattern

After making my pattern adjustments to the dress I started the process of me digitizing my paper pattern for me to sublimation dye print my dress using the Endor print I had originally planned on using. But after finishing digitizing my pattern and starting to layout the print using adobe illustrator I realized that my image would turn out very pixelated and over all sloppy. So after stressing for a period of time I decided to go back to the drawing board and reconsider all my fabric prints. Well being stressed out over what I would do for prints I was watching my favourite show at the time Star Wars Rebels and I found myself sketching out the character Ahsoka's Togruta head tails and I couldn't help but think to myself how amazing and beautiful the print was and how it would look on a fabric. So I decided to digitize my illustration and send it off to be sublimation dyed. After getting my fabric back with the print I knew I had made the right choice with creating this dresses print and started sewing it as soon as possible and I was beyond happy with the results of the final dress.

Gallery and Closing Statements



Me and the Voice Actress of Ahsoka Tano Ashley Eckstein

The Fulcrum Dress is honestly one of my favourite pieces I have ever made in my time of designing and sewing so much love and passion went into making and designing this dress and even though there were bumps along the way I do think the results were worth it.

Until Next Time I am Chloe from Chloesfandomlife and you can find me on all of the following social media platforms below
Instagram- @chloesfandomlife
Youtube- @chloesfandomlife
Tiktok- @chloesfandomlife

Comments